Hosting your own dress drive can be a great way to volunteer, connect with your community, and also expand the awareness of Abby’s Closet. Listed below are some suggestions for creating your own drive:
- Register your Dress Drive with Abby’s Closet to let us know that you are organizing a drive. We will then provide you with materials, tips and suggestions. Please complete our new online dress drive registration form below or click here for a pdf version.
- Decide on the dates for the drive. Most drives typically last 2-3 weeks.
- Decide where dresses will be collected and how they will be stored. Make sure they are in convenient locations. Large cardboard boxes (decorated?), wardrobe moving boxes, rolling clothes racks work great for collecting dresses.
- Prepare your marketing materials. Abby’s Closet can email you flyers and posters that can be adapted for your dress drive.
- Distribute flyers and hang up posters. Ask friends to help hand out and hang up flyers and posters. Be sure to think about large-traffic areas.
- Publicize the your dress drive through community announcements or newspapers. Contact the Abby’s Closet PR Lead for assistance with this.
- Collect donations! If donors would like a tax receipt, please have them complete the top half of the receipt, and take the bottom half. When drive is completed, give the tax receipts to Abby’s Closet.
- Contact Abby’s Closet for donation pick-up. You can call the Abby’s Closet hotline at 503.722.1524 or email at
to make arrangements.
- Thank your donors and committee members. Put a follow-up message in your community announcements or newspaper thanking your donors and letting them know that they can donate year-round. Click here for our participating drop-off locations.